Students in the VTU 1 are aged 17 to 19 years. The programme on offer for Group 1 in Lisanally introduces students to the world of work by allowing them time to develop their interaction, communication and functional everyday skills. Within the group of eight pupils there are six boys and two girls.
Here we aim to:
• Provide a broad range of structured activities to help prepare pupils for adult life.
• Introduce and develop pupils' knowledge and understanding of the world of work.
• Promote the concept of personal career planning.
• Make the transition from school to adult world as uncomplicated as possible.
• Build self-esteem and produce a valued member of society
• Encourage sensible use of leisure/ social time.
Programmes on offer at present are:
1) AQA Catering: AQA EL - Making Toasted Sandwiches and Warm Sandwiches to Sell
2) Occupational Studies EL - Bench Joinery
3) Occupational Studies EL - Hospitality
4) Occupational Studies EL - Total Beauty & Hair Care
5) Occupational Studies Business & Services L1 - Vehicle Services & Valeting Operations
6) Occupational Studies Business & Services L1 - Contemporary Cuisine
7) City & Guilds EL2 Food Studies
8) ASDAN "Work right” programme
9) Duke of Edinburgh Award
10) Young Enterprise
12) Millennium Volunteers Award.
13) Recreational Activities: AW Fitness Suite
All pupils in VTU 1 hold a prefects position and we also have the Head Boy and Head Girl in our group. Each pupil participates in a work experience programme; pupils who will leave school in June will attend a supported work placement with a job coach from Appleby. Other pupils will attend work experience supported by school staff.
As part of the Service section for the Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award pupils in VTU 1 are participating in a project where they prepare and sell lunches to staff in school. They decided to call their mini-business ‘The Mobile Deli’. So far all is running well with excellent feedback from customers.
VTU1 have been very busy as four of our class are preparing to leave school to start another chapter in their lives.
We have been working extremely hard on a Tuesday in the Orchard swimming pool, Armagh. We have been working towards swimming targets, and thankfully we all have achieved new personal bests.
On Wednesdays we are responsible for running the school café. Each of us has different roles to carry out to ensure we are providing the best service to our customers. We all work together to guarantee that the café remains a success. In class we have been learning about the different rights we have at work. We know what our employer expects from us during work.
We are also learning some valuable life skills such as Road Safety, Science and Technology and Home Economics. Recently we have done a lot of work on Travel Training. We studied different road signs and learned about keeping safe when walking on the roads.
We have been very creative during science and technology, as we designed and created a clock from bits of wood. We were very proud of our creations!
In VTU1 we have started to become a lot more independent in the kitchen, prepping breaks and making different home bakes. We know the importance of keeping safe around hot equipment and we are striving to ensure that we are been hygienic at all times.
As you can tell we are all enjoying our final weeks here in VTU1!