Students in the VTU 1 are aged 17 to 19 years. The programme on offer for Group 1 in Lisanally introduces students to the world of work by allowing them time to develop their interaction, communication and functional everyday skills. Within the group of eight pupils there are six boys and two girls.
Here we aim to:
• Provide a broad range of structured activities to help prepare pupils for adult life.
• Introduce and develop pupils' knowledge and understanding of the world of work.
• Promote the concept of personal career planning.
• Make the transition from school to adult world as uncomplicated as possible.
• Build self-esteem and produce a valued member of society
• Encourage sensible use of leisure/ social time.
Programmes on offer at present are:
1) AQA Catering: AQA EL - Making Toasted Sandwiches and Warm Sandwiches to Sell
2) Occupational Studies EL - Bench Joinery
3) Occupational Studies EL - Hospitality
4) Occupational Studies EL - Total Beauty & Hair Care
5) Occupational Studies Business & Services L1 - Vehicle Services & Valeting Operations
6) Occupational Studies Business & Services L1 - Contemporary Cuisine
7) City & Guilds EL2 Food Studies
8) ASDAN "Work right” programme
9) Duke of Edinburgh Award
10) Young Enterprise
12) Millennium Volunteers Award.
13) Recreational Activities: AW Fitness Suite
All pupils in VTU 1 hold a prefects position and we also have the Head Boy and Head Girl in our group. Each pupil participates in a work experience programme; pupils who will leave school in June will attend a supported work placement with a job coach from Appleby. Other pupils will attend work experience supported by school staff.
As part of the Service section for the Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award pupils in VTU 1 are participating in a project where they prepare and sell lunches to staff in school. They decided to call their mini-business ‘The Mobile Deli’. So far all is running well with excellent feedback from customers.